For some reason, turning 41 isn’t bothering me nearly as much as turning 25 did. Not exactly sure why, but it doesn’t seem to be that big of a deal. So I’m going with it…
I’m a Virgo almost to the letter. If you look up any kind of astrological profile of Virgoans it always says that we are loyal, modest, intelligent (love that one!). But we’re also fussy, perfectionists and excessive worriers. I love being a Virgo, but I’m ditching some of the standard traits and realigning the stars in my favor. So screw perfectionism. Screw worrying. And on with living.
I love my life. And I love what I’ve done so far and what I still have to do. So today I’m taking a look back.
In no particular order, here are 41 things I’ve learned (so far):
- Although it may not be obvious at first, everything happens for a reason.
- The book is always better than the movie.
- Flowers are never necessary to send, but they’re always nice to get.
- If a baby is squirming, brace yourself. Something is coming out from one end or the other.
- Motherhood is the sweetest gift. Dads have it good – but moms are incredibly lucky.
- Setting every clock you own ahead ten minutes doesn’t guarantee you’ll be early.
- A calm mommy makes for a calm baby.
- Constantly worrying, obsessing about pleasing other people is absolute bullshit.
- You don’t need anyone’s approval to live your own life.
- Marriage takes work, focus and commitment – it’s not a really long date.
- Ferris Bueller was right – life moves fast. If you don’t stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.
- Confidence – really believing in yourself – is the key to everything.
- Travel every chance you get.
- Have goals. Have a plan. But live in the moment.
- Laugh as often as possible.
- Trust your gut.
- Even though you know the secrets, still keep the magic of Christmas.
- Sex is good. Really, it is!
- No need to be a “little Hercules” with the weight of the world on your shoulders…put your mind at ease.
- Just like yoga, life is about the practice – not perfection.
- Everyone has a story, a challenge, a need to be loved – so judge not!
- It’s better to have a really good healthy fight than to walk on eggshells just to keep the peace.
- It’s OK to enjoy being a girl – you’re not letting down the feminists.
- Republicans aren’t so bad 🙂
- Glinda the Good Witch was right – you had the power all along.
- There’s nothing more annoying than a “yes” person at work. Dare to be bold and express another viewpoint.
- There’s something to this visualization thing. Read “The Secret”, get a vision board and go with it.
- Mothers really do sleep with one eye and ear open and walk around with their heart on their sleeves. It’s infinitely exhausting, but wildly gratifying.
- Happiness is a choice.
- Words are powerful.
- Don’t spend more than 8 hours a day at work and don’t bring work home.
- Never burn a bridge – it simply isn’t worth the satisfaction.
- Get a good camera and when you don’t have it handy, take lots of pictures with your heart.
- Own your own personal truth and get rid of skeletons in the closet.
- Empathy is one of the most important virtues.
- Things aren’t always what they seem – don’t jump to conclusions.
- Talk to your children honestly, clearly and in plain English – don’t babytalk and don’t gloss over important things.
- Never sweep anything under the carpet; deal with everything openly and honestly.
- Have your husband’s and your kids’ backs at all times.
- You are stronger than you know.